Scope of Position:
Blair Academy seeks a Dean of Academics for full-time employment beginning July 1, 2015. Candidates must enjoy working with adolescents and must possess an exceptional work ethic, strong communication skills, a commitment to collegiality and a sense of humor. Preference will be given to candidates with significant experience as classroom teachers and with the academic infrastructure of independent secondary schools. A demonstrated talent for, and interest in, working with motivated and engaged students and faculty is essential, as is the ability to communicate proactively with parents to address any questions and concerns. This is a 12-month position that will require on-campus presence for a significant part of the summer.
Expectations & Responsibilities:
The Dean of Academics is responsible for partnering with the Assistant Head for Academics (AHA) and other members of the senior administration in the design and implementation of the academic vision of the School, its development, maintenance and communication. Along with the AHA and Director of Studies, the Dean of Academics will play an invaluable role in sustaining and building upon Blair’s outstanding academic foundation.
- Managing the administration of academic life at Blair, including:
- Oversight of the curriculum, including development, evaluation and course catalogue;
- Management, in consultation with Academic Monitors, Student Life Office and Department Heads, of course placement and student/parent engagement regarding academic issues;
- Development, administration and oversight of the academic calendar, daily schedules, student schedules and teacher schedules;
- Keeper of School Records (students)
- Supporting the work of the AHA in the management, mentoring and support of Department Heads and teaching faculty, including areas of professional development;
- Supervising, training and supporting Academic Monitors;
- Administering the Academic Honor Committee;
- Overseeing the accreditation processes and ensuring that all work is completed effectively and in a timely manner;
- Contributing to the strategic planning/implementation process in collaboration with the AHA;
- Supervising the Registrar;
- Teaching at least one course; and
- Other duties as assigned/required, including coaching and/or dorm.
Blair Academy is a co-educational, 9th-grade to postgraduate boarding school located in rural northwestern New Jersey, approximately one hour west of New York City. The school is 75 percent to 80 percent boarding, possesses fine facilities and faculty housing, and is committed to the continuing education of faculty. To learn more about Blair, visit its website at
How to Apply:
Résumé, letter of interest, undergraduate/graduate school transcript(s) and 2 letters of recommendation should be forwarded to Jackie Roecker, Director of Human Resources, P. O. Box 600, Blair Academy, Blairstown, N.J. 07825-0600, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Completed applications must be received by October 10. Your letter of interest must address how/why Blair’s academic mission resonates with you and in what ways your skillset, interests and experiences will serve you in this leadership role.
Blair Academy, in the treatment of employees and applicants for employment, is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity andnon-discrimination.