Belonging at Blair
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) at Blair is grounded in our mission—to know our students and to prepare them to thrive in a diverse and complex world that we believe they will make better. As a School, we’ve endeavored to be thoughtful and deliberate, to ensure our actions are meaningful, based on good counsel from diverse voices, research, and our community’s lived experiences and truths.
We are committed to creating and sustaining an environment that allows students and adults to be and express their authentic selves across all lines of identity and difference, that is anti-racist, that fosters meaningful understanding and deep relationships, and that ensures “ all in” and “all together” is a lived reality, not just a slogan. Our dedication to the dignity and humanity of all people is unwavering. And any words or actions that deny or demean the dignity and humanity of others have no place in our community.
The Inclusivity Committee
Selected based on their roles at the School and their perspective, 11 faculty members and three Trustees liaisons comprise Blair's Inclusivity Committee. The group, which convenes weekly, promotes a sense of belonging in the community, fosters the momentum of DEI work across campus, and serves as a resource to adults and students for that work. Meetings provide a forum for discussion, and the Committee acts as a planning and advocacy group for diversity, equity and inclusion matters. Committee members are also charged with the development and execution of DEI programs, review of hiring practices and other work to promote empathy across our community.
Committee members include:
- Emmanuel Bello '04, Trustee liaison
- Dave Facciani, International Student Academic Monitor
- The Rev. David Harvey, Trustee liaison
- Hannah Higgin, PhD, History Teacher
- Joyce Lang, Language Department Chair
- Joe Mantegna, Associate Dean of College Counseling
- Sharon Merrifield, Mindfulness Teacher/Health & Wellness Teacher
- Nathan Molteni, Dean of Academics
- Ryan Pagotto '97, Associate Head of School
- Monisha Randhawa, Assistant Dean of Admission & Coordinator of Multicultural Student Recruitment
- Andee Ryerson, Associate Dean of Students
- Maria Savettiere, Trustee liaison
- Leucretia Shaw, Dean of Strategic Initiatives (chair)
- Ally Thomas, Director of Counseling
Below are the important steps we are and will be taking immediately in furtherance of key priority initiatives from our Strategic Plan, understanding that our work and future steps will continue to evolve as we evaluate what is most effective and listen to our community’s experiences, stories and ideas.
School-Wide Programs & Initiatives