We focus on modern computer science, including underlying theory, knowledge and skills that transcend specific and ever-changing technologies.
-SAMUEL G. ADAMS IV, DIRECTOR OF TECHNOLOGY & COMPUTER SCIENCE DEPARTMENT CHAIR
Computer science connects theory and practice, combining mathematics, programming and engineering. Students taking computer science classes are encouraged to think in both abstract and concrete terms, and faculty encourage students to develop technical aptitudes that will serve them well as they transition into college. Emphasis is placed on project-based learning, with hands-on project work dominating class time.
Students taking our multilevel programming course use the Python programming language to complete projects that emphasize all aspects of computational thinking. In addition to developing fundamental skills, students develop new areas of interest and a deeper understanding of the real-world connections of their work. Our AP Computer Science course closely follows the Advanced Placement curriculum, exploring the type of material and concepts a student might expect in a first-year college course. Students gain a working familiarity with the Java programming language and study concepts that apply more generally to all programming languages.
Robotics integrates programming concepts with physical mechanisms such as motors and sensors. Students study both the hardware and software aspects of robotics and build working robots that perform complex tasks. Software design brings programming concepts to students in very real and practical ways as they create working real-world applications.
- Competitive Robotics Team
- State-of-the-art technology in Bogle Science Center
- State-of-the-art technology in the Chiang-Elghanayan Center for Innovation and Collaboration
- Open use of Blair’s maker space
- Blair Girls Who Code Club
- EdAccess Technology & Education Conference
- Independent study projects
- Freshman Seminar
- Maker Space Digital Design & Fabrication
- Headmasters’ Societies Games maker space projects
- Real-World Robotics Seminar
- Hands-on introduction to Da Vinci© Surgical System