Financial Aid FAQs
- Who may apply for financial aid?
- What is Blair’s tuition?
- Where do I begin the process of applying for financial aid?
- When is the financial aid application due?
- Does Blair have any athletic, art or academic scholarships?
- How is need assessed?
- If parents are divorced or separated, who fills out the financial aid application?
- What is the Blair school code, to be used on the PFS, line 7a?
- What if I have more than one child in school?
- If we have more than one child applying for financial assistance, do we have to complete more than one financial assistance application?
- What if we own our own business or farm?
- If we receive financial aid in our child’s first year, will we receive the same award in subsequent years?
- What if our tax information isn’t available at the time of the application?
- Is the financial aid application confidential?
- What if our financial situation is complicated or is changing significantly right now?
- Are there any loan programs available?
- What if I have more questions about financial aid?
Anyone is welcome to apply for aid, boarding and day candidates alike. Families interested in applying for financial aid should check the appropriate section on the admission application and also complete the online SSS application process.
The National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) has established guidelines to help schools manage their financial aid programs in a manner that will be generally consistent from one school to the next. The information you provide will be used by the School and Student Service for Financial Aid (SSS) to calculate an estimate of how much you can afford to contribute to your child’s education. The Blair Academy Financial Aid Committee then uses this estimate, along with the other information you provide, to determine a recommended family contribution and subsequent financial aid award.
We understand that your current Federal Tax Return Form 1040 may not be completed prior to January 15. As a result, we ask that you provide all previous year’s information until current-year returns are available. However, all financial aid awards are tentative until receipt of current-year returns and the verification of supplied income, asset and tax estimates. It is imperative that these forms be uploaded as soon as possible after they become available.
Send a detailed letter if there are circumstances that Blair should consider when determining your financial need. Be as specific as possible with dates and figures. Parents who return to school or change jobs as a personal choice must realize that a resulting decrease in their family income cannot be underwritten by financial aid from Blair.