- By Mail
- By Phone
- Wire Transfer
- Appreciated Securities
- Corporate Matching Gifts
- Honor a Great Teacher
- Gift Planning
Making a gift of appreciated securities can be more advantageous than giving cash as you can do so without incurring capital gains tax.
How It Works
- You transfer appreciated stocks, bonds or mutual fund shares you have owned for more than one year to Blair.
- Blair sells your securities and uses the proceeds for its programs.
- You receive an immediate income tax deduction for the fair market value of the securities on the date of transfer, no matter what you originally paid for them.
- You pay no capital gains tax on the transfer when the stock is sold.
Important Tip: Do not sell the stock first. Even though you may give us the proceeds as a gift, the IRS will impose capital gains tax on your sale, deleting the benefits of this arrangement.
For more information on gifts of stock, call Cara Mohlmann, director of advancement, at (908) 362-2031.
You can double or triple the size of your gift if you or your spouse is affiliated with a company that has a matching gift program. When you make your gift, please include the matching gift form, which is available from your human resources department. Matching gifts will be applied toward individual giving levels.
The material presented on this website is not offered as legal or tax advice.
We welcome and appreciate gifts of any size. Donors are recognized at the following levels:
|10-14 (2003- 2007)||$1,000|
|Blue & White||$1,000|
* Young donors who have graduated from Blair within the last 15 years can make leadership gifts and join the 1848 Society at the "Young Leader" level.